To Friday 08 November 2013
The expert meeting on Integration governance in multicultural societies took place on 7-8 November 2013 at the University of Valencia Law faculty. This event aimed to:
1. Discuss ways of tackling social exclusion through immigrant integration policies and intercultural management;
2. Analyse prominent judicial decisions in the area of cultural conflicts;
3. Identify the consequences of different integration models on the effective enjoyment of basic rights through a comparison of the United Kingdom, Spain and the European Union;
4. Bring together integration experts and create new research networks;
5. Formulate new proposals regarding legal practice.
The meeting gave the members of the R&D project "Human rights, multicultural societies and conflicts" the opportunity to share and comment on the results of their ongoing research. In order to maximise dialogue, some sessions were specifically devoted to questions and comments on the issues raised by the two panels: 1) conflict management in multicultural societies, and 2) integration policies in the European Union. Discussions focused on the comparative analysis of migraton-related conflicts in a number of European countries from a legal, political, sociological and philosophical perspective.
7 November 2013
16:00 Opening speech
- Maria José Añón Roig. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
16:30 FIRST SESSION - Conflicto management in multicultural societies
Moderator: José García Añón. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
Lorenzo Cachón. Complutense University in Madrid. "Migration-related conflicts and institutional responses: Lessons learned from European experiences."
Eduardo Ruiz. Deusto University. "Diversity and conflicts: spaces of religion, spaces of contention."
- Jaime Bonet Navarro. Law Faculty, University of Valencia.
- Lola Borges Blázquez. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
- María Dallí Almiñana. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
- María Isabel Garrido Gómez. University of Alcalá de Henares.
- Albert Mora Castro. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
8 November 2013
10:00 SECOND SESSION: Integration policies in the European Union
- Moderator: Ángeles Solanes Corella. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
Bridget Anderson. University of Oxford. "Citizenship and the Community of Value."
Gemma Pinyol. GRITIM, Pompeu Fabra University. "An overview of integration policies in the EU: Going forward in European immigration policy?"
Jesús García Cívico. Jaume I University in Castelló. "The use of indicators in the evaluation of migrants' integration process"
- Pier-Luc Dupont. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
- Andrés Gascón Cuenca. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
- Encarnación La Spina. Human Rights Institute, University of Valencia.
- Javier de Lucas
- Mario Losano
- Letizia Mancini
- Sami Naïr
- Ángeles Solanes Corella
- Pier Luc Dupont
- María José Añón Roig
- Lola Borges Blázquez
- María Dallí Almiñana
- José García Añón
- Cristina García Pascual
- Andrés Gascón Cuenca
- Verònica Gisbert i Gràcia
- Antoni Llorente i Ferreres
- Ruth Mestre i Mestre